Fedora LiveCD ISOs

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Fri Aug 3 17:15:21 UTC 2007

Matthew Curry wrote:
> I'm sure this has already been called to your attention, but I will
> email anyway.
>
> It appears that the x86 LiveCD ISOs have been maximized in size so that
> they can _just_ fit on a standard CD.  However, the x64 ISOs simply
> contain the same packages with the different arch, but are larger
> (presumably due to compatibility libraries, binary size, and such).
> This makes them too large to fit on a single CD.

Yes. See http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora7/FAQ. They are live images
and due to multilib support by default that x86_64 images are larger.
The rationale is that x86_64 are likely to be affected if we remove
multilib and those systems are likely to be more recent and hence have a
DVD drive.

There has been some recent discussions in fedora-desktop list about
changing this.

Rahul