Wiki Guide proposal

Dimitris Glezos dimitris at glezos.com
Thu Feb 22 02:23:04 UTC 2007

Hi all.

Today we got the wiki upgraded (thanks to Mike and the FI folks) and added some
CSS tweaks [1]. The new version and the CSS foo render the wiki more usable,
promote code reuse and can help us avoid some HTML-hacking happening around.

  [1]: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DimitrisGlezos/WikiDesignTuning

So, we all know that having clean pages with consistent look-and-feel is A Good
Thing™ and that our wiki wouldn't mind some work to make it more usable and
good-looking. :)

I think we should have a good Wiki Guide that documents the use of the wiki. We
do have some scattered information here and there like `/WikiEditing`, but the
pages are huge and not very usable. In the guide we could promote ways to have
good and organized content, avoid HTML hacking, etc. For this, we are also
investigating enabling a moin module that will give us wikipedia-style templates
that can further increase code reuse.

Here are some ideas for the contents of the guide:

  * Structure of the wiki
  * Structure of a page
  * Getting access
  * Page templates / skeletons and personal pages
  * Writing style (mostly pointers to existing Docs)
  * Page editing (/HelpOnEditing)
  * Media (Graphics, videos, etc)
  * Exporting to DocBook
  * Various tps

How does the idea sound?

Oh, also, in the following weeks we'll try to further enhance the image of our
wiki and probably design some more banners for pages to look nice.

-d

--
Dimitris Glezos
http://dimitris.glezos.com/