Tasks list and scheduling

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Thu Jul 5 23:18:28 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-07-05 at 20:42 +0200, Ivo Smulders wrote:
> Ok.
>
> This looks like a task/project which we can contribute to?!?!?
>
> I am also new and have done all the registration etc, but now I am
> having difficulties to find an area where I can work on and which can
> help the Fedora Project.
>
> I have contacted my country Ambassadors and they have been helpfull,
> to some extend...
>
> But Karsten, is this an area where maybe Eric (I assume you want??)
> and myself can support?

Thank you so much, you are correct.

We have a saying, "The cobbler's children always go barefoot."  This
means that we can do the hard work of creating a world-class Linux
distro, but when it comes to keeping our own house clean, we don't do
such a good job.

> Create an area which provides a top-overview of the ongoing projects
> with a 'status' and for each project a so called "one-pager" which
> describes what the project is about, how it helps Fedora Project, what
> the wishfull date is when the project can be finished, their
> dependencies, which wiki's/groups are involved and who to contact for
> more information?

I like the basic idea, but I'm concerned about duplication.  I think
another idea is to fix the existing .*Join pages.

How about the idea below.  Does it sound crazy?  Or like a good idea?
Or very different from what you had in mind?

1. Go to http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Join ... look at that page as a
new contributor.  Does it help you find somewhere to take your interest?
If not, what is missing from that page?

2. For each of the "interest areas" on that Join page, it should point
you toward several other sub-project Join pages.  Is that clear or does
it need fixing?

3. When on a sub-project page such as DocsProject/Join or L10N/Join,
does that page help a new contributor find what to do?  Is it easy to
figure out how to join?  Easy to figure out what to do next?  If not
easy, why not?  What is missing?

4. Make this all into a list that shows:
   * How well each ProjectName/Join page is doing its job
   * What might be wrong with each page
   * What should be done to fix it

5. Alternately, you can just look at each page and fix it without
writing up a list and plan; this all depends on how you prefer to
work/collaborate.

From all of that, you probably will know enough to start fixing the
pages.  Naturally, the project that "owns" those pages should have some
say in what happens.  Fortunately, they should be watching changes on
those pages, so they can comment, fix, update, etc. whatever work you do
without you having to ask permission first.

- Karsten
--
   Karsten Wade, 108 Editor       ^     Fedora Documentation Project