webmaster at fedoraproject.org

Ricky Zhou ricky at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jul 12 22:43:13 UTC 2007

Mike McGrath wrote:
> Ricky, do you happen to know how many actual requests came through there
> in say a month?  Perhaps a bounce with notification to our ticketing
> system is the best thing.  Those without an account can email
> admin at fp.o.  Its not the best solution but I think it would work.
Hmm, you said that there was a way to do anonymous ticket creation- that
(along with the email bounce) would probably prevent most spam.  From
6/11 to 7/12, we've gotten around 12 requests that were actually about
the website (including duplicates)- the other 40 or so were
spam/irrelevant.  Based on these numbers, I don't think it'd hurt too
much to forward these few people to a anonymous ticket page (although
the process might be a bit complicated for the passer-by wanting to
quickly notify us of a problem).

Some other options are:
 * Moderated mailing list (to kill spam- this would require moderators
and some sort of policy, but would still make spam/off-topic mail much
easier to delete than with OTRS).
 * E-mail to web-members/a specific group of people - the amount of spam
might discourage people from joining, and I don't see any way for a
single person to "take" a request (so that others know), so this might
be hard to manage.

Any opinions or caveats to these options?

Thanks,
Ricky