Bugzilla page for Fedora bugs

Will Woods wwoods at redhat.com
Tue Jun 12 23:33:23 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-06-12 at 18:50 -0400, Ricky Zhou wrote:
> Will Woods wrote:
> > So I've been trying to redesign the Bugzilla bug entry / query forms to
> > be a bit easier to use. I've got some ideas and some profanity-laden
> > rants about the current pages on bugzilla.redhat.com, so I figured I'd
> > try to do a mockup of what the page should look like.

> Looking great so far :).  Curious: How much control do we actually have
> over the HTML, etc. for this page?

Depends on what you mean by "control". If you mean "creative control
over content and design", we have complete authority to do whatever the
heck we want, so long as the form works. Whee!

As for control over making changes to the form, that's a little
trickier. If it's done as a template in bugzilla (like the extras-review
page[0]) we have to hand it off to the bugzilla team to put it in place,
which is really easy but still non-trivial. If we choose to do it as a
separate HTML form on a fp.o server, obviously we have complete control.

> I'm not experienced with Bugzilla administration, but are we able to
>  separate all Fedora-related products and theme those pages ourselves?

At this point there's only one Fedora-related product - Fedora. As for
"theming" those pages.. if you go through the Red Hat front page, you'll
get the default Red Hat layout. I'd assume we'd want a simplified
Bugzilla frontend on fp.o that has a Fedora-specific message and
look/feel. It would have nice links to the Fedora-specific bug
query/entry templates and such. Beyond that, though, it's still

> Also, if/when the bugzilla.redhat.com
> upgrades to Bugzilla 3.0, how would that affect any work that we do?

It shouldn't affect it much, so long as our templates / forms still
work. We'll have plenty of time to make sure our stuff is compatible
with Bugzilla 3.0.

> Having said that, I'd be happy to help out with this, given the details
> for the original template/design ideas, etc.

I'm attaching the current enter_bug template and extras review template.
I forget what the templating language is called but its use should be
pretty obvious - check the bugzilla docs[1] for more info.

I'd love to talk about further ideas for this stuff - the bug entry page
causes a lot of confusion and lost bugs and it would be a great boon if
we could make it easier to use.

-w

[0] https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/enter_bug.cgi?product=Fedora%
20Extras&format=extras-review