Bugzilla page for Fedora bugs

Will Woods wwoods at redhat.com
Fri Jun 15 19:27:45 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-06-13 at 15:06 -0700, Karsten Wade wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-06-12 at 19:33 -0400, Will Woods wrote:
>
> > I'd love to talk about further ideas for this stuff - the bug entry page
> > causes a lot of confusion and lost bugs and it would be a great boon if
> > we could make it easier to use.
>
> I like the simplicity of this approach.  Via an easy to remember URL
> (bugs.fedoraproject.org?) we have an interface that lifts all the
> knowledge from the right places in bugzilla.redhat.com.

Right - it needs a little backend magic for AJAX calls to grab the full
lists of components, email addresses, platforms, etc.. but that stuff is
Not That Hard.

> This means we can imagine Really Good Stuff, such as:
>
> * Float your mouse arrow over the [Login/Create Account] link and an
> AJAX pop-up offers you the chance to create the account, then it
> refreshes the page from that new account.  Nothing is more frustrating
> than starting to fill out a bug report and realizing you aren't a logged
> in user ...

Yes! Awesome!

> * Repopulate the Description with something more meaningful, perhaps
> gleaned from the session (cf. browser/OS info), from QA discovery tools
> (scripts) we distribute to gather useful and consistent data about a
> troubled system, etc.

specific per-component instructions - xorg bugs should include xorg.conf
and Xorg.0.log, network driver bugs should include the output of
'lspci', etc.

Furthermore, in the Glorious Future, we can use this same info with a
client-side bug reporter tool to automatically grab the needed
files/info. Sexy!

But for now - a nice, usable web frontend would be *huge*. We've got
some great ideas - so how do we get started on making this stuff happen?

I think we can just work on it as a plain HTML form for now, and make it
into a bugzilla template later if need be.

-w