Wiki slowness

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 21:19:36 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-03-20 at 15:47 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
> I've been examining more closely why wiki saves are slow.  At this time
> it appears the issue is in notifications.  More to the point,
> determining who to notify.  Our wiki supports regex for page
> notifications.  This means that when you save a page, Moin has to
> iterate over all users (currently about 10,000 registered) before it
> knows who to notify.  Actually sending the notifications doesn't take
> that long, but figuring out who to mail can take a long long time.  My
> tests show between 30 and 95 seconds.  When I disabled notifications
> saves dropped to 2-3 seconds.  I'm not sure what to do from here but it
> looks like it will take a code change (I'm working with some guys in
> #moin).  I'm continuing to look into it but wanted to let everyone know
> what was going on.

I can think of two possibilities for speeding this up::

1) Make the notifications async.  Save a notification message into a
queue.  A worker thread/process processes the queue for who needs to be
alerted to this.
2) On page creation and notification preference changes, update a list
of which people should be notified of changes.  Then you can just use
this list when sending the notification.

I've got a bit too much other stuff to do to take one of these on right
now, though.

-Toshio