Wiki First Page

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Wed May 2 23:03:16 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-04-30 at 23:04 -0300, Mauricio Pretto wrote:

> Hello All,
>
>    Mike asked me to try to make the Google search for Fedora[1], looks
> like the redhat[2] one, with sub links for the main website.
>    So after a few hours of searching i think i have found the right html
> code to make this thing work.
>
>    The idea is to change the links to  torrent, tours and downloads, is
> that okey for everyone?

By this you mean, the cool sub-links that appear in the Red Hat search
result?

That is a *really* interesting question.  A bit of marketing, a bit of
user experience.

When people search for Fedora, what do they want to do?

What do we *think* they want to do?

Up to this point, our ideas about changing the front page were to give
people what we thought they wanted:  stuff to download; how to do stuff;
how to join Fedora.

Would we want to mirror that in the search results?

Or do we want to push a different agenda/set of ideas?

Are the suggested links (torrent, tours, downloads) actually a different
agenda/set of ideas?  Or are they a result of Apache log traffic
analysis?  Or something else?

Anyway, I'd definitely like a chance to i) think about this as a group,
and ii) get them right, while iii) not wasting too much time.

This list seems like a good one for it, since many of the folks on
f-marketing-l who are interested in online marketing are also here.

- Karsten
--
   Karsten Wade, 108 Editor       ^     Fedora Documentation Project