Website update

Ricky Zhou ricky at fedoraproject.org
Sun May 13 19:04:09 UTC 2007

Hi!

Here's my version with very clean HTML/CSS:
http://fedora.riczho.dyndns.org/static/ (previous version is now at
http://fedora.riczho.dyndns.org/static.old/).

File sizes:
2445    index.html
2217    style.css
17947   images/
22609   total

Some concerns/changes that I've made:

I've lowered the width of the page to only 80%, as (for me) this line
width is easier to read.  For similar reasons, I've changed the text
color from gray to black.

With the sidebar, I'm somewhat concerned with putting the image banner
there, as it forces me to set the sidebar width in pixels (I'd much
rather use a relative unit that can scale more easily).  Also, I'm a bit
wary of using the -moz-border-radius property for obvious browser
support issues (and with non-gecko browsers, the hard edges *really*
stick out).

For the background, I felt that the original shadows seemed a bit too
"3D," and kind of pop out instead of blending with the page.  Also, from
a CSS angle, it'd take either extra markup, doing something weird with
the HTML or body elements, or setting a pixel width on the entire page
to implement such shadows, so I just used a solid border.

Now, my largest issue is probably with non-home pages.  Since the left
column needs to be so wide, we lose a *lot* of space under the nav as
the text gets longer.  Will we be having a separate design/layout for
the home page?

Other random questions:
 * Will the "Get Fedora" page still have the banner/"get it now" links?
 * Does anybody feel that the navigation is in a somewhat awkward place?

Thanks,
Ricky