Website update

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sun May 13 19:39:44 UTC 2007

Máirí­n Duffy wrote:
> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> It's about time that we launched that new website of ours. Who is
>> working on it and what's the status?
>
> Okay so here's another update;
>
> I've got 3 of the 4 pages:
>
> 1) Front page:
> http://people.redhat.com/duffy/fedora/web/static-page-2.html (as I just
> posted)

We should launch the website before Fedora 7 is introduced. It would
give us some time to understand how well it scales, get some feedback
etc instead of doing it at release time which invariably means that
everyone will be too busy.

Keep this website as it is but for the launch which I am hoping we can
even do today (Can we Mike?), replace the "Introducing Fedora 7" with
"Welcome to Fedora".

Replace the Fedora 7 image on the side with a FC6 DNA image or skip that
out completely. Drop the last sentence in the With these three changes
the front page becomes generic.

Replace the old disclaimer in the bottom with the new one currently in
fedoraproject.org

"The Fedora Project is maintained and driven by the community and
sponsored by Red Hat.
This is a community maintained site. Red Hat is not responsible for
content."

Why is there so much black space at the end of the page? Is there any
way we can fit in some dynamic news feeds into that page? I think there
is enough space for that.

During F7 launch we should link prominently to the Red Hat press
release, release announcement and release summary.

> 2) Get Fedora:
> http://people.redhat.com/duffy/fedora/web/get-fedora.html

This is very nice but we divide users into those with high and low
bandwidth connections. Nitpicking here but the second section should
also lead those without a net connection too.

I would prefer we highlight the small boot.iso image for network
installation much more here.

Shouldn't we have a good page explaining the differences between
different spins and what target they serve in this page?

> 3) Join Fedora:
> http://people.redhat.com/duffy/fedora/web/join-fedora.html
>
> Do these look okay? Right info on there, etc?

Yes.  This is all set.

> I'm not quite sure how to go about the learn more page. A run down of
> basic information about Fedora, with a section of the new features for
> Fedora 7, and a link to the screenshot tour (if there is one available?)
> I think the sort of thing most people will be interested in here is a
> screenshot tour but we shouldn't have files that big on this small site.

Just put in a generic overview for now. I will followup with a list of
features and benefits in F7 soon. The tours page in the wiki for FC6 can
be used now.  Should be replaced with a link to the F7 tour during launch.

Rahul