jpg vs png

Máirín Duffy duffy at redhat.com
Tue May 22 17:33:13 UTC 2007

Thomas Chung wrote:
> Does anybody know if there is any patent issue with jpg?
> I know gif has patent issue that's why we should use png format.
>
> "PNG format is a patent-free compressed format. We hope it will become
> widely supported; then we will use it. We do have PNG versions of the
> images on this server. "
>
> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/gif.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JPEG#Potential_patent_issues

US Patent Office found the patent invalid based on prior art a year ago,
and it already expired anyway.

That gnu.org page on gif is pretty old. The GIF patents expired a few
years ago IIRC.

It seems reasonable to support PNG anyway as its a standard format, so
let's see how small gimp will let me squeeze them down in PNG format.

~m