jpg vs png

Máirín Duffy duffy at redhat.com
Wed May 23 15:03:33 UTC 2007

Hey Nicu!

Nicu Buculei wrote:
> Máirín Duffy wrote:
>>
>> It seems reasonable to support PNG anyway as its a standard format, so
>> let's see how small gimp will let me squeeze them down in PNG format.
>
> What you already do (convert PNG to indexed) is very effective in
> reducing the file size.
>
> Have you played with pngcrush (or something similar) to reduce the size
> even more? (unfortunately, we don't have a yummable package for pngcrush)

Yeh, I did! With PNG crush I got the Inkscape-exported, 58KB png down to
48KB and I couldn't squeeze it down anymore. :(

The image (the (FC6 banner in the upper left) has a lot of gradients and
JPG compression would look a lot better for the size it's at now (~10k).
The previous version which was a jpg was only ~7k. I think there is some
way to squeeze PNGs down though for photographic/gradient artwork, but,
none of the FOSS tools I can find seem to do it. :(

~m