F7 static page about spins

Máirí­n Duffy duffy at redhat.com
Wed May 30 06:48:54 UTC 2007

Karsten Wade wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-05-30 at 10:37 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> We really need a Fedora 7 static page about the different spins before
>> the launch but I don't have time to work on it today. If anyone wants to
>> take a look at it please go ahead.

> Where do you see this page being linked from?

Ideally (hey I'm saying ideally I know its wishful thinking :) )

I think if you clicked to the get fedora page, it would have a rundown
of the different spins with links to the direct downloads for each via
each download method. You know, you shop for a product, figure out which
one you want, and then you figure out the logistics of paying for it and
shipping it... weird analogy but I think it makes sense.

Maybe for each of the download links 'mocked up' below (there are 5)
make a version of the current get fedora page we have now explaining
download methods... ugh, i don't know. :( we have spin | architecture |
obtaining method which makes these pages very difficult to do in a
simple and usable way statically I think.

Anyway, from what I know of the spins, which may very well be wrong, I
would organize a spin explanation page like this:

= Live Images =

Want to try Fedora, but don't want to deal with the hassle of backing up
and reinstalling, or setting up dual boot on your system? Live Images,
new for Fedora 7, are just what you need. Simply download the image,
burn it to a disk, leave it in your disc drive and reboot your system.
That's it. No risk, no hassle. Choose which desktop environment you'd
like (if you're not sure, GNOME is the Fedora default) and download the
appropriate image for your hardware below.

== GNOME ==
Simplicity and ease of use. These are the core focus of the GNOME
Desktop Environment. Learn more at gnome.org.
[ screenshots of GNOME ]
[ for 32-bit x86 systems ] [ for 64-bit x86_64 systems ]

== KDE ==
Conquer your desktop! The K Desktop Environment (KDE) emphasizes power
and customization. Learn more at kde.org.
[ screenshots of KDE ]
[ for 32-bit x86 systems ] [ for 64-bit x86_64 systems ]

= Fedora =

The full Fedora operating system spin is a set of the core packages
included in Fedora, suitable for installation on standard desktop
workstation. Choose this version if you'd like to install Fedora fresh
on a new system or if you'd like to replace the operating system on an
existing system.

[ for 32-bit x86 systems ] [ for 64-bit x86_64 systems ] [ for ppc systems ]

~m