KISS on fp.org

Max Spevack max at spevack.org
Mon Nov 5 22:56:49 UTC 2007

Hi guys,

So this email is admittedly very late to the game.  I apologize for
that, and I consider it my fault for not handling this much sooner.
Nothing to be done about that now, but what I am about to propose is
actually not a whole lot of work for the right person.

The context:

We need to make it AMAZINGLY EASY for the 90% of the users who are going
to show up at fedoraproject.org on release day looking for the x86 Live
CD or the x86 Installable DVD.

I think it would be in our best interests to have 2 prominent links on
the FRONT PAGE -- something like the current countdown to Werewolf box.

Header: single click Fedora 8 downloads for x86 architectures

big button #1 -- LiveCD
big button #2 -- DVD

And if you click it you get dumped to the proper file on a random mirror
and it just starts downloading.

Why is this coming from me now?

Because I am writing an article for Red Hat Magazine that is "step by
step instructions for making a LiveUSB version of Fedora".  Do you know
what the *hardest step* in that article is?  The step where you tell the
person to actually go and download Fedora.

We can fix this in time for the release!  Is anyone able to step up with
some quick HTML/CSS fu and make it better?

We have fallen into this trap before -- too many links.  If a user gets
to fedoraproject.org and the link they need to click to download is not
blatantly obvious, then we lose big time.

trying too be helpful,
Max