feed'd front page ready

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Wed Apr 2 16:15:21 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-02 at 08:56 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:

> You'll be happy to know that FWN is linked on the main page and other
> pages via a banner ad then.  So that problem is already taken care of.

Banners are cute ways to attract attention, but unless they are diagrams
or interactive, pixel-by-pixel they are a huge waste of space compared
to words.

Static words are useful, but pixel-by-pixel are a waste of space
compared to dynamic content.

> In my opinion the wiki shouldn't be linked to directly from there
> anyway.

The wiki needs to be re-invented to include community documentation that
is useful to end-users.  Hiding it isn't going to accomplish that.

> > Another example is the download section, yes we say "these are all the ways you can install fedora" but then
> > we dont say which is better for the user (i385, x86_64, etc...)
>
> So fix the download page.  Not the landing page.

+1

> > Having information in the front page makes it easier to let people know what they want
> > without making them digg into the website, and in the website world i think thats a plus in terms of
> > usability.
>
> What information?  I was very VERY specific in asking you for what
> information was missing from the main page and you (and no one else so
> far) has given me any information thats missing from the front page.  The
> fact is the categories we have on the main page are exactly what people
> are looking for.  Getting involved, getting fedora, docs.

We have a few different directions to take.  One is to do everything
from various gut instincts, which honestly is what you are proposing.
"Simpler is better."  Yes on a child's tape player; no in a cockpit.

Without anything to compare what we did with what we are doing with what
we might do, we are just shooting in the dark.  At least having
different content on the front page we can have some better idea of what
people are and are not doing.  Do more or fewer people click on the
Planet links than on the "Join" links?  Do more or fewer people click on
an RHM article about how-to do something in Fedora than on the "Docs"
link?

- Karsten
Fedora : http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
gpg key : AD0E0C41