Alliance for Public Gardens GIS (that is: zoos and botanical gardens)

Mary Burke mtburke at ucdavis.edu
Tue Apr 8 16:02:55 UTC 2008

Hi All,

http://fedoraproject.org/

I'm in love with your website.

I'm trying to help launch a national collaborative project for the
poor, misunderstood, underfunded tech folks at zoos and botanical
gardens across the country. We're trying to build a GIS "data model"
so that each zoo and garden doesn't have to start from scratch when
they want to map their plants, their paths, their irrigation systems,
etc. Here's an example from other industries.

We need a web presence and project wiki to help us communicate.

Would you mind terribly if I used your beautiful Fedora website as a
template?-- it's so elegant, content-rich, easy to understand.

If the answer is "yes", then you become an official "professional
services" volunteer for our new alliance. Maybe there's a tax
deduction in there somewhere?

Our partners, right now, are the San Diego Zoo and Wild Animal Park,
the Chicago Botanical Garden, the Missouri Botanical Garden, San
Francisco Zoo, San Francisco State, the Arnold Arboretum at Harvard
University, and UC Davis. We have about 100 gardens interested in
getting this free, open source data model. Now all we have to do is
build it. Communicate.

Thank you for thinking it over. It would be a great help!

Best,

Mary

Mary Burke
Director of Planning and Collections