questions from wiki migration mtg

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Sat Apr 26 04:09:08 UTC 2008

Sorry I couldn't attend today.  Here's some stuff I dug from the IRC
log:

* UserName => User:username ... ouch
  - anything we can do with mod_rewrite?
    - some of these pages are well indexed and referenced
  - any reason we cannot migrate all the wiki/UserName to an equivalent
wiki/UserName and let people source that to fill out their User:username
page.
    - I understand that User:foobar has special meaning in MediaWiki and
agree it is worth the hassle for those who want the functionality; do we
have to force the feature on them and break their URLs?

* How does l10n work with multiple wikis and propagating information
from a canonical wiki (en_US?) or across?
  - Manual?
  - Automagic?

* Ricky's question about centralizing on a specific type of markup.
Since Docs worked with Mike on the script, following the Doc's markup is
probably the best path to clean markup conversion:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/WikiEditing
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/WorkFlow#Wiki_to_DocBook_XML
  ^-- step 2 has a list of specific anchors in WikiEditing and other pages

These are the specific ways we use the Moin syntax.  It's not as much a
subset but a noble consistency that gives us the best chance of fast
search and replaces on the DocBook side.  In other words, when we get
''foo'' => <emphasis role='italic'>foo</emphasis>, we know that it's one
of just a few DocBook tags, then can do iterations of manual
search-n-replace on each file.

* On HTML:
        < ianweller> i notice that mostly html is just for headers and
        such. should we create some sort of template for a standardized
        project page header

For any of those in the Docs.* namespace, those are a workaround for the
DocBook converter in Moin.  Let's convert those in the script that are
in the Docs.* namespace into the equivalent <h2>foo</h2> => == foo ==.
(Added to ticket 31.)

For HTML of IRC logs, maybe convert them to attachments and create a
contents page? (Added to ticket 31.)

thx - Karsten
Fedora : http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
gpg key : AD0E0C41