Simple website

Craig Thomas bicycle.nutz at gmail.com
Sun Apr 27 12:51:26 UTC 2008

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 9:19 PM, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Apr 2008, Juan Camilo Prada wrote:
>  >
>  > i totally agree!!
>  > we cannot compare two different projects and two different websites that
>  > aim at two different points. Obviously opensuse.org aims to let people
>  > know about the tools the have build (Build Services) and of course the
>  > wiki. The thing is, their wiki is so well organized that it feels good
>  > to navigate in and also their wiki is their replacement for our fp.o
>  > If we had a wiki so well designed with an interactive and intuitive
>  > interface such as opensuse's wiki, we could discard having fp.o as the
>  > wiki would do just a better job. But so far nor the wiki and definitely
>  > not the fp.o site are helping on filling the gap between new
>  > users/contributors and the project.
>  >

>  I talked to the opensuse guys, similar to our wiki anyone with an account
>  has access to edit the wiki.  So the question is, what do they do
>  different or is it just they have a younger wiki?
>

>  > Also im getting tired of this discussion as it seems its not going

I would disagree that it's not going somewhere. I think it's been
slow, and not been fraught with actual decisions or any concrete
direction, but has helped clarify what the group thinks. Akin to 'It's
not the destination, but the journey' sort of utility.

>  The group is getting bigger but still, unfortunately, very few leaders
>  have come out of it.  Ricky and ignacio immediately come to mind but of
>  the people on this list, how many of you have commited or created and
>  proposed a patch to the website in the last year?

Sure, your right. And the silence is fairly loud. (and +1 btw; verify,
sponsors)

This group doesn't accomplish much.  How can we?  we don't have
regular meetings and numerous of our tickets are for things the
website group doesn't even have git access to: tickets 181
(d.f.rh.com), 206 (docs.fp.o). Or tickets are just hanging around,
waiting for translations (493), or are unclear (etags thing).

We also don't have much direction or leadership. We have never had a
website meeting, ever. From what I can tell, every other fedora group
have a clear team lead, and that lead has a RH e-mail addy. I suspect
that fact brings more cohesion and direction to those groups.

There are good people here, people who care about fedora and do good
work.  And I for one find myself frustrated and wasting lots of my
$fedora time just trying to figure out process questions, and I am
sure that I am not alone. (Such as what (besides the tickets) needs
doing. If it's OK to 'just do' whatever it is. How to gather a
consensus for things like rss feeds on the home page or not. If it's
OK to push new pages that have no translations. can we change the
layout without ART team/marketing team...(and can we be sued for the
red in the beta banner?!))

Perhaps I have done nothing but reiterate your point that we suck, but
I guess my point is that yea, we do, but perhaps it's time for some
one of the few leaders we do have to drive us, to establish a meeting
time and point us in $the_direction so we can be less sucky.

my $.02 cents :-}

--
Craig