questions from wiki migration mtg

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Mon Apr 28 23:07:58 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-04-26 at 10:56 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Apr 2008, Karsten 'quaid' Wade wrote:
>
> > Sorry I couldn't attend today.  Here's some stuff I dug from the IRC
> > log:
> >
> > * UserName => User:username ... ouch
> >   - anything we can do with mod_rewrite?
> >     - some of these pages are well indexed and referenced
> >   - any reason we cannot migrate all the wiki/UserName to an equivalent
> > wiki/UserName and let people source that to fill out their User:username
> > page.
>
> Nothing exists that maps wikiname to username.  wikiname was a poor choice
> and now we're paying for it :-/
>
> >     - I understand that User:foobar has special meaning in MediaWiki and
> > agree it is worth the hassle for those who want the functionality; do we
> > have to force the feature on them and break their URLs?
> >

> They can do it on their own time.  This is something that I suspect will
> just be a mess forever.  Some using User: some leaving it at their old
> /wiki/WikiName.

I think I'm not understanding something.  Here is the main question. :)

* Are we going to break the URLs of the pattern wiki/UserName in the
migration?

Once migrated, yeah, we can have people manually migrate them over.  If
I were the Wiki Master[1], I would enforce the rule that people had to
migrate them, by hunting down and nagging people to death.  Or
occasionally doing it for them.

- Karsten

[1] I need something to do with my free time after retiring from Docs
leader :)

Fedora : http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
gpg key : AD0E0C41