Simple website

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 22:47:15 UTC 2008

richard-harrison at comcast.net wrote:
>>> +1...VERY elegant.
>> Yes it is, but it feels bit like a desert - it lacks the message "Yes here
>> is something happening.". Thats what news with headlines does. And who
>> cares about project hidden behind the barrier of nice wallpaper. So yes,
>> it is graficaly nice, but definitely does not give a first impression of
>> live project.
> Without clutter and with zero learning curve, it provides a very obvious entry into each of the three main funnels with respect to potential visitor interest. This is of paramount importance to the "unwashed masses" whom we hope to seduce away from "The Dark Side." The more geekly among us will not be put off, and our lesser brethren should not be frightened off by too much "richness" of options and news. The OSuse front page is targeted at the first timer with the intent of inducing download (first option for those of us of the left-to-right persuasion), not those interested in a worldwide project to overthrow the domination of "The Evil Empire." I think they (and Mike) got it right.

Eh, it looks like the laptop.org home page which has always felt lacking
to me.  Not to say that we don't have too much on our front page, just
that too little can be just as bad.  An interface that's too cluttered
is hard to navigate but an interface that has too little doesn't give
you enough clues on how to navigate and worse, no reason to want to
navigate it.

-Toshio