CMS thoughts (was Re: Fedora-websites-list Digest, Vol 34, Issue 14)

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Mon Aug 18 21:39:08 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-08-18 at 14:27 -0400, Adam Humphreys wrote:
> My experience as a web architect in a similar CMS interactive
> environment like this was to first implement a bug tracker system, and
> then work in priority sequence to what the site structure needed
> through out the ongoing development cycle. Since the people are the
> voice of Fedora it only makes sense to add a secure API that users can
> easily add in their concerns with out making it too difficult.The best
> thing I've seen yet is a page that users could submit their errors, or
> suggestions to the bottom of the page to be submitted to the DB for
> review into the bug tracker.

If I'm understanding correctly, you are suggesting a method of:

* Scoping the project, including features needed from the CMS
* Mapping that to a (bug) tracking system, using the tracker to organize
and prioritize the individual tasks
* Opening submissions to the tracking system through a per-page comment
gathering system that hooks in to the Fedora account system to

It seems like a pretty thorough method.  It's not necessarily overly
much for this project, but it does require a fair amount of technical
resources up front and throughout, where I'm not sure we have the people
available.  Unless you are volunteering? ;-D

> For the versatile structure requirements of the Fedora CMS I am
> definitely also leaning towards Drupal.org. It has an open enough
> infrastructure to add in a number of great features and is ported for
> easy adoption of new technologies as they come rather than being
> locked down. Being able to adapt easily is a big concern as we're
> facing the movement of the entire infrastructure onto a new base. I
> would naturally encourage everyone to keep looking as there's tons of
> amazing CMS out there but this one seems to be the best fit I've seen
> so far. Adopting ajax menu's for suggestions as people entered in key
> words would be an asset to keeping the system more efficient, and
> getting results simple for users. I'm pretty sure we can all agree
> that keeping things organized is the easiest way to maintain the site.

Thanks for the endorsement etc.  I reckon Drupal is pretty high on any
list, these days. :)

- Karsten
Fedora : http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
gpg key : AD0E0C41