one CMS

Izhar Firdaus kagesenshi.87 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 23:59:16 UTC 2008

2008/8/14 Karsten 'quaid' Wade <kwade at redhat.com>:
> I'm ready, let's do this.
>
> We need one CMS solution (for sanity sake), although >1 install might be
> OK(?), to cover:
>
> * fedoraproject.org
> * docs.fedoraproject.org
>
> We need to move some content from the wiki (Licensing/*, Legal/*,
> Packaging*) to the CMS.
>
> Why a CMS?  Read this:
>
> http://iquaid.org/2008/08/13/why-and-where-fedora-needs-a-cms-solution/
>
> Getting a CMS is a solution to a blocker for upgrading MediaWiki.  The
> code we use for MW ACLs is not supported in the latest release, and our
> version is going out of security update support.  By moving all content
> out of the wiki that needs ACLs, we don't have to have that code and
> upgrading is made possible.  That also gets us to where we can use
> Nigel's localization setup.
>
> Reportedly we'll get a speed improvement on the wiki without the HNP
> code.  So sayeth Nigel.  See #fedora-admin for details.

I'm biased ... the Python CMS that runs on Zope ... Plone!!! ... :P ..

> CMS must haves
> --------------
> * Good security record
checked

> * Proactive security mindedness of developer community
checked

> * Flexible enough auth system to attach to FAS
PloneLDAP

> * RSS
all over the place

> * ...

> CMS should haves
> ----------------
> * OpenID
checked

> * WYSIWYG editor
checked - its using Kupu .. also supports lots of markups like ReST,
wiki markups, etc.

> * ...
>
> Have at it!

others:
- contents are stored like inside a filesystem (folders, contents)
- contenttype easily done using argoUML, code generated using archgenxml
- templating using TAL (similar to turbogears's KID) - XML valid,
clean, no need to mess with python
- considering its python, might allow greater integration with
python-fedora libraries,  turbogears, and other python libs.
- powerful caching when installed with squid as accellerator combined
with the CacheFu product (CacheFu will invalidate squid cache when
changes occur)
- powerful indexing & searching capability (can index uploaded pdf,
odf, doc, txt, etc)
- and bunch more

Cons:
- require py2.4 ..
- small choice of custom Products (plugins)
- consume quite some RAM

the fedoraunity guys know more i guess ..