A few missing items on your FAQ about using Yum to jump from FC6 to FC8

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Mon Dec 1 10:10:38 UTC 2008

Matt Hillier wrote:
> You may have mentioned these someplace in the FAQ for using Yum to
> upgrade from FC6 to FC8, but I haven't found them after a few times
> through your WIKI.  I had to do the following in addition to the
> instructions posted on the site:
>
> Things to do before you Yum upgrade from FC6 to FC8:
> 1.  Turn off  'yum-updatesd'  .
> 2.  Disable selinux by setting /etc/selinux/config  to 'disabled' and
> then reboot system.
> 3.  Locate a FC7 install disk for the next step after you upgrade.
>
> Things to do after you Yum upgrade from FC6 to FC8:
> 1.  Boot the system using the FC7 install disk and select the 'rescue'
> option.
> 2.  Chroot /mnt/sysimage  and fix the /boot/grub/device.map file for the
> device name change (ie. hda -> sda).
> 3.  Make sure your disk labels are valid in /etc/fstab using 'e2label'
> on each /dev/sdX device and correct as required in the fstab by setting
> an absolute path ( ie. for swap ) or changing the disk label.
> 4.  Make the new initrd file for your new kernel using the newly
> corrected path/device information with 'mkinitrd
> /boot/initrd-<kernelver>.img  <kernelver>'
> 5.  Exit from the 'chroot''d environment and the rescue live session,
> while ejecting the CD/DVD FC7 image from the optical drive.
> 6.  Boot your upgraded system.
>
> Thanks for your time and the work on the WIKI!  Please disregard this
> message if I've missed the part about performing these other steps.

You can very easily create a Fedora account to get edit access for the
wiki. Refer http://admin.fedoraproject.org/accounts.

Also note that Fedora 8 will not get updates after January 7 as has been
recently announced. We recommend that you upgrade to a currently
maintained release such as Fedora 9 or Fedora 10.

Rahul