Front Icon

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Fri Dec 5 08:13:19 UTC 2008

Mike McGrath wrote:
> Can we shrink the front page icon?
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/static/images/f10launch.png
>
> Currently at 139K, its not huge or anything but I traveled a lot today and
> it was noticeably slow to load compared to the rest of the content.  if
> there's nothing we can do, there's nothing we can do but I thought I'd
> ask.

Not by much if we want to keep the rounded corners transparent (PNG),
after optimization I can get it only to 132.5K, not much as a saving:
http://fedora.nicubunu.ro/banners/f10launch.png

So to a real decrease we have to make some compromises:

- switch to PNG with indexed colors at 58K, but the dithering really
looks ugly: http://fedora.nicubunu.ro/banners/f10launch_indexed.png

- switch to JPEG with no compression to preserve the image quality but
replace the transparent corners with a white background at 70K:
http://fedora.nicubunu.ro/banners/f10launch.jpg

- if needed, we can play further with JPEG compression and decrease the
file size more, like this at 34K (I believe it still look good but also
there is room to decrease the size):
http://fedora.nicubunu.ro/banners/f10launch1.jpg