Fedora Applications proof-of-concept

Robin Norwood rnorwood at redhat.com
Wed Jul 9 20:36:16 UTC 2008

On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 15:31:55 -0400
Mike Langlie <mlanglie at redhat.com> wrote:

> Robin Norwood wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm working on a web application called 'Fedora Applications'.  I've
> > gotten to the point where I have a publicly available
> > proof-of-concept level web app available.
> >
> > Fedora Applications is designed to be an easy way to find and
> > install applications for Fedora.  The public instance is
> > at: http://publictest10.fedoraproject.org/amber
> >
> > https://fedorahosted.org/amber/
>

> Here are mockups reworking the Applications page and an individual
> application page.
> http://yipyop.com/fedora/images/fedora_apps.png
> http://yipyop.com/fedora/images/fedora_app_page.png
>
>       The format is based on mockups of Fedora Accounts by Máirín and
> me. http://duffy.fedorapeople.org/webdesign/FAS/fas-2_reskin.png
>       http://yipyop.com/fedora/images/fedora_accounts01.png
>
> Icons and images used are here:
> http://yipyop.com/fedora/amber_images.zip

Cool, those look great.  A couple of comments:

o CSS - my CSS skills are weak, to say the least.  I'll have trouble
implementing some of these ideas by myself.

o App icons - I can extract the icons from /usr/share/icons when I parse
rpms.  This is probably a lot better than having you or someone
else create an icon for each app.  It might be a little tricky to pick
the 'right' icon, though.

o 'Download' should probably be 'Install' throughout.  Or maybe there's
a better 'normal user' word for 'I want this app on my computer'?

o User ratings on the details page - I haven't quite figured this out,
but my general idea was that user ratings would be more along the lines
of free-form text.  Like "I have used this application to 'Write
reports___'", instead of per-category.  OTOH, maybe the traditional
categories and ratings could be combined somehow.

-RN

--
Robin Norwood
Red Hat, Inc.