"Default" spin of Fedora

Juan Camilo Prada juankprada at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 21:21:51 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-06-11 at 16:38 -0400, Basil Mohamed Gohar wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-06-11 at 22:24 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> > Kevin Kofler a écrit :
> > > 1. Do we really want to highlight a "default" spin on the front page,
> > > effectively hiding the others ?
> > >
> > I think it is *very* important to emphasize a default spin, not
> > necessarily by hiding others, but to make sure casual Fedora users do
> > not run away when confronted by a choice they're not ready to make.
> >
> > To quote a wikipedia article I skimmed today:
> >
> > |« The "Sculley Era" at Apple was characterized by market division and
> > further subdivision, with a large number of models  [...] This strategy
> > backfired, as it resulted in high [...] marketing costs, as well as
> > market confusion. Buyers would look at similar machines in a store, each
> > conceived for a particular market but usable elsewhere, and with
> > comparable performance specifications, and become confused as to which
> > product to buy. »
> >
> Nicolas,
>
> This is a bit of a challenge, because it seems that the official line
> for the target audience for Fedora is the "FOSS enthusiast", which
> might limit how "casual" we would expect our users to actually be.
> Paul emphasized that this doesn't mean we expect someone to be a
> kernel hacker, but I think the other extreme might also be excluded.
>
> http://mmcgrath.livejournal.com/16918.html?thread=47894#t47894
>
> I hope I am understanding this wrong, though, because I very much
> would like Fedora to be something that can make someone into a FOSS
> enthusiastic by making it easy for them to try it without having much
> prior experience.

By selecting one single media as the official one we are not excluding
anyone from using fedora... if we happen to choose the more user
friendly media (probably Desktop Live Media imo) new users will find it
very easy to use fedora, and most experienced users... well they already
know what they want so they will head to get-fedora section and download
the media :)

--
Juan Camilo Prada <jprada at fedoraproject.org>