Fwd: "Default" spin of Fedora

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 22:12:12 UTC 2008

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Arthur Pemberton <pemboa at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 4:32 PM
Subject: Re: "Default" spin of Fedora
To: Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net>

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 4:23 PM, Nicolas Mailhot
<nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net> wrote:
> Basil Mohamed Gohar a écrit
>>
>> This is a bit of a challenge, because it seems that the official line for
>> the target audience for Fedora is the "FOSS enthusiast", which might limit
>> how "casual" we would expect our users to actually be.  Paul emphasized that
>> this doesn't mean we expect someone to be a kernel hacker, but I think the
>> other extreme might also be excluded.
>
> So what? Rome was not built in one day. Fedora won't be grandma-ready
> tomorrow, but there's no reason to make trying Fedora harder than it needs
> to be. Otherwise we should just kill this fluffy web stuff and revert to
> publishing some files on a raw ftp server somewhere.
>
> We don't want to follow Ubuntu and accept proprietary blobs or old software
> versions just to appease impatient end-users. However that does not mean we
> don't want to make the distribution as streamlined as possible within the
> chosen Fedora parameters.

Streamlined at what expense? Because removing all references to KDE et
cetera will definitely be more streamlined.
Simply label things clearly. If someone cannot handle reading a label
and making a decision, they aren't going to have any better experience
with Fedora.

( www.pembo13.com )

( www.pembo13.com )