summary of juank_prada's /en/index feedback

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jun 12 12:02:34 UTC 2008

Jonathan Roberts wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 07:40 -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:
>> Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
>>> On your mockup the download link is already too deep on the root page.
>>> If you want to propose a quicklink it needs to be on top of the page
>>> without requiring the user to do any scrolling or reading
>>>
>> Actually recent usability studies have suggested that 'below the fold'
>> is not the concern it was once thought to be. I think Jakob Nielsen even
>> posted about this in his alertbox somewhat recently.
>
> Just to play devil's advocate, but is this something we even want to be
> discussing until we've carried out usability studies on the current
> website like we plan to do?
>
> I've no idea of the answer to this question!

Well below-the-fold or not is a general web site layout question that
isnt really specific to FPO. Here's one reference:
http://www.boxesandarrows.com/view/blasting-the-myth-of

Honestly, if that download link was the most important thing about
Fedora and on that page, you could argue for it being above the fold
just because it's so fundamental, but I don't agree with the logic that
to be on the page at all it must be above the fold.

~m