Web form for Fedora TV video submission

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Sun Jun 15 14:25:32 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-06-15 at 03:31 -0400, Jonathan Roberts wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> In case you don't know yet, we've just organised a Miro channel for
> Fedora so that we can put up screencasts/video interviews etc. What
> we'd like to do is make it really easy for people to submit their
> videos for inclusion so we thought a web form would be the best idea.
> What I was thinking was something that recorded the information:
>
> Name:
> E-Mail address:
> Video Title:
> Video URL:
> Video Description:
>
> And then, I think this information needs e-mailing either directly to
> an editor/group of editors or a mailing list for review. Once that's
> done, I guess it would be cool if the form could automatically update
> the RSS feed with the click of a button (something like "Approve") but
> this could also be done manually...

FWIW, and not everyone agrees with my approach, I default to using a
mailing list, even if I'm the only one subscribed.  If it never scales
beyond one editor, that's fine.  It makes it easy to add more editors to
the pool, gives a simple workflow mechanism (email arrives, someone
replies that they are reviewing, then they post the results of their
review as part of the dis/approval), and open public archives gives
transparency to the review process.  The latter is important for
explaining to people why one thing was rejected and the other accepted.
Also useful for new editors to learn the history of a particular
problem, methodology, etc.

> Could anybody help me out with this? I looked into doing it really
> simply with Javascript but from what I've read I think I'm going to
> need to use PHP or something similar - actually I guess Python might
> be more popular in Fedora?! If somebody can point me in the right
> direction, then I could probably make some head way myself :)

Python + TurboGears + Genshi.

What you might want to do is make a dummy page using the man websites
GIT repository, and look at another TG-using app to see how it all ties
together.  Least, that's what I'd do if I had any clue as to what to
do. :)

- Karsten
Fedora : http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
gpg key : AD0E0C41