"Default" spin of Fedora

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Sun Jun 15 15:12:22 UTC 2008

Karsten 'quaid' Wade wrote:

>         Download Fedora!
>         => Single CD for Desktops and Laptops
>                 =>  We flipped a coin to choose this GNOME desktop as
>                 the default from amongst all the great single, live CDs.
>                 Who really knows best?  Maybe you want the equally
>                 fantastic [live KDE CD] instead ...

I *really* don't like this idea. Problem is, I go and download Fedora
and end up with say KDE and I love it. I tell my friend to go and
download it, and they end up with GNOME. I'm trying to help them but our
systems are totally different and we don't know enough to understand
what is going on.

The Fedora Desktop == GNOME. There is far more to this than flipping a
coin. You're going to have a better experience if you use GNOME as a
newbie because it has an exponentially larger number of maintainers and
folks able to help with it. (Not to mention its philosophy of less
clutter but I really don't want to get into that on this list)

I think a call-out box to highlight various spins on the get Fedora page
is fine and I do believe that was even in some of the mockups. The KDE
spin could certainly be in that rotation.

~m