string freeze for web sites (was Re: RHM widget on fedoraproject.org)

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Mon Mar 10 18:16:10 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-03-03 at 22:26 -0600, Mike McGrath wrote:
> Its probably too late for the F9 release
> as the string freeze is tomorrow :)

Just wanted to note that the websites do not (nor should not) follow the
code development freeze.  At a minimum, I'd recommend something like the
Fedora Docs schedule[1], which has the Preview Release string freeze
effectively 17 March, 07 April for l10n that goes into the ISO, and 17
April for final that appears on the web/zero-day updates.

Because web pages are instant publishing, our main blockers are:

* Giving l10n enough time
* Trying not to jam too much into the schedule at the same time

For example, when everyone is busy finishing the software for the ISO,
that is the time to hold off on pushing out POT updates for web-based
content.

Based on that, maybe something in between 07 and 17 April, such as 11
April would be a good string freeze for *all* websites, giving nearly
three weeks for translation, QA, etc.?  Another option is to go as late
as possible, with 21 April being the absolute latest.

The rule of thumb we've got from L10n in the past is, "10 days minimum,
14 days is best."

- Karsten

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/Schedule/9

--