feeds mock-up for front page

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Sat Mar 15 06:30:51 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-03-15 at 00:34 -0400, Ricky Zhou wrote:
> On 2008-03-14 09:23:07 PM, Karsten 'quaid' Wade wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 2008-03-14 at 16:23 +0100, Adam Pribyl wrote:
> > > What was not meantioned is - the frontpage was made that simple as it is
> > > because of high load on this page at time of new releases. Is including
> > > again any dynamic content something the servers can stand at this time?
> >
> > Good point.  There is benefit to having dynamic content during release
> > time, but it does carry a risk.  Maybe we can do something different for
> > the few days after release, such as:
> >
> > * Comment out the code entirely (sub-optimal)
> > * Have the code run as a cronjob every N minutes (15 min.?) then write
> > out a static bit of HTML for the page to publish
> > * Manually write out the content and leave it is a static "feed" that is
> > updated by hand ever N hours (N = 12? N = 24?)
> Right now, the website is generated every hour - would this be an
> acceptable delay for RSS updates?  The RSS support that I mentioned on
> the ticket is just downloading/parsing the feed during the website
> build (and displaying the top few entries).

+1

In practice, I often notice long delays between posting and something
coming out of Feedburner, which supplies feeds for *.redhatmagazine.com
and Fedora Weekly News.  I doubt the hourly build would ever make it
feel longer than it is already. :D

I displayed the top three items in my mock-up, but I'm a bit partial to
five items.  I'll leave that decision up to proper designers and UI
experts.

Looking around a bit more, here are the three groupings I like.  OTOH,
another option is to pull them into one scrolling column.  The main
reason I don't like that is steady-state content such as FWN should go
up and stay up for the week, with the past few weeks visible.  If we
combined it into one scrolling column, it would scroll off in under two
hours.

---
"Fedora Weekly News"
http://fedora-tchung.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default
----
"Red Hat Magazine/Dev Fu/Truth Happens" or "Red Hat Magazine"
http://www.redhatmagazine.com/category/fedora/feed
http://developer.redhatmagazine.com/category/fedora/feed
http://truthhappens.redhatmagazine.com/feed
---