news.fedoraproject.org

richard-harrison at comcast.net richard-harrison at comcast.net
Wed Mar 26 04:33:28 UTC 2008

>> "The main difference between Lyceum and MU is the database schema. MU
>> creates a set of tables for each blog in a system. Lyceum uses a fixed
>> number of tables for the entire system."
> IOW, Lyceum does it right, MU does it wrong, from a strictly technical
>standpoint.
"Strictly technical" in what sense?

>> From a resource/performance perspective, is that wise? How great a
>> risk is there that "small" and "medium" (fuzzy terms) volume blogs may
>> suffer performance hits due to their "much larger" brethren?
> Unless the software is coded in a grossly inappropriate manner, little
> to none.
My question was directed at physical resources and access issues related to data volume. After a certain scaling point, no matter how grossly appropriate the coding of the software, negative impacts related to contention for tables and physical resources will happen. I am asking people likely to have knowledge of projected/expected data volumes to consider those risks.