Free?

Stephen Rowe steve0001 at gmail.com
Sat May 17 14:11:01 UTC 2008

You state in your video player that you strive to keep Fedora free
yet to play most videos you send me to a pay for the codec site.
Yet in Kubuntu the codecs are free, why pay you when the other is
really free, also Flash fails and wants a manual install even thoogh
I did your installer since the Adobe gives a malformed message.
So far not very positive as these items have been encountered
only 1 day after trying your distro. I am not a big user of Linux but
am trying to learn. Right now I am trying all the different flavors
of which Fedroa is supported by a lot of programs I would like
to try, mostly accounting programs of which Linux lacks for the
novice. I will not give up easily but others will. If you want to gain
community support from nvice user you must have the stuff people
do on the web working. No flash is a no go by the way, so back to
Kubuntu for a while tio give you time to resolve the issues I have
encountered, since to me that makes you undesirable.

I do try to resolve some issues with the terminal but eing a novice
with Linux usually ends up with reading and installing through
the terminal that ends up failing anyway. I always seem to get a few
steps done then having to research the errors. But usualy just
give up thinking this will not fly for general public use.

On a side note tho I do see Linux getting better, but not there. Lack
of program support is one as we have used the same programs that
has our information or knowledge of how to use it. To start over is a
step most are not willing to do. Open Office resolves one portion
but not all. To you it may be a simple thing to get things to work
but to the average user it is just about impossible.

One last note, there is NO WAY I am going to pay Fluendo web shop
for codecs. To me this seems like a scam, a note to remain free
yet you send me to a pay site to play a video that plays for free on
other OS's, yes even free ones! That just plain stinks and will cause
me in the end to not use your product.. If I knew I was going to use
your product as my main OS and it was a pay item on the others then
I would have no problem, but it is not.