open account requests

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Wed May 21 18:59:41 UTC 2008

On Wed, 21 May 2008, Nicu Buculei wrote:

> Mike McGrath wrote:

> > > How can one group customize this join message?
> >
> > The group admins can alter a field in the account system called "Join
> > Message"
>
> That explains all, Mo and me are only sponsors and can't edit the message (or
> view a mention about it). Probably this is why we are not using it :p ...and
> the same may be true for other groups too.

It was mentioned to me that you may be talking about an application
message.  Right now that message only goes out _after_ someone has
actually been approved in the group.

This is a common failing IMHO as well.  Lots of users think that all they
have to do is show up and apply in a group and they're in the team and the
fact is that the account system is a side affect of being on a team, not
the actual way to be on a team.

Too often volunteers show up ready and willing to work but don't bother
introducing themselves to the list or even showing up on IRC.  I'm
conflicted on how to feel about these people.  We have a full documented
system for Infrastructure on what the different fedora infrastructure
groups do and how to get involved.  Including actually CONTACTING a
sponsor to try to convince them to sponsor you.

How many people on this list have applied for some group and didn't get
approved for that group?  Why do you think that was?

	-Mike