open account requests

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Thu May 22 06:25:35 UTC 2008

Máirín Duffy wrote:
> Mike McGrath wrote:
>> This is a common failing IMHO as well.  Lots of users think that all they
>> have to do is show up and apply in a group and they're in the team and
>> the
>> fact is that the account system is a side affect of being on a team, not
>> the actual way to be on a team.
>
> I've tried to explain over and over that you don't need an FAS account
> to modify the wiki nor to create artwork, but people still send in many,
> many requests to be added to the art group. It doesn't make sense to me.

It seems that lately the number of membership requests for the Art group
increases very quickly (today I got a couple of those in my inbox).
Below is the message I send to each applicant. In the most cases it is
not followed and I delete the request after 2 weeks, but some will
follow with an introduction to the mailing list and a few of them became
contributors (but very few compared with the number of membership requests).
I also had a few people replying to my personal email and I followed
with additional details (for example one person replied he will go on
with membership at a later time, when he will have more free time).

This make me think that if we had a page shown by the application with
some introduction and rules maybe that would also help reduce the number
of useless requests (from people who do not follow up).

And one more thing: I dont' know what to understand from requests like
this, where the person has not even signed the CLA:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/accounts/user/view/astroweb
Is this a bot or a person that does not understand even the basics? Or
the web application does a really bad job of informing him about the basics?