[Fwd: Re: Actual question]

Basil Mohamed Gohar abu_hurayrah at hidayahonline.org
Wed May 28 23:53:36 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-05-28 at 19:29 -0400, Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-05-28 at 18:01 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
> > On Wed, 28 May 2008, Basil Mohamed Gohar wrote:
> >
> > > Mike,
> > >
> > > Is Fedora only for geeks or is it for "normal" people?  I think we know what we want the answer to be, but are we
> > > there yet?  I want my wife to use Fedora, and she's intelligent, but I'm not sure I would categorize her as a geek,
> > > either.
> > >
> > > I think there's a happy medium - the world isn't geeks vs. non-geeks.  But I think we can move more in the non-geek
> > > direction still...
> > >

> > According to a comment in a recent blog post:
> >
> > http://mmcgrath.livejournal.com/16918.html?thread=47894#t47894
> >
> > Fedora is for enthusiasts.
>
> I think there's plenty of people that could *become* FOSS enthusiasts,
> if only they knew the issues surrounding it (or even that it exists, for
> that matter).

I agree.  I'm not sure that Paul's statement (and far be it from me to
speak for him) meant that certain accommodations for non-"enthusiasts"
shouldn't be considered.  An enthusiast need not be a technically-minded
person either.  They can just be someone that sees the advantage of free
software in that they don't have to do a lot of EULA clicking whenever
they want to use software...