Meeting Log - 2008-11-17

Ricky Zhou ricky at fedoraproject.org
Mon Nov 17 22:41:32 UTC 2008

22:00 -!- ricky changed the topic of #fedora-meeting to: Fedora Websites - Who's here?
22:01 < ianweller> hey look a meeting!
22:02 < ricky> :-/
22:03 -!- ChitleshGoorah [n=chitlesh at fedora/ChitleshGoorah] has quit Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)
22:03 < ianweller> k.
22:03 < ianweller> ricky: maybe you should ping people :P
22:03 -!- mdomsch [n=Matt_Dom at cpe-70-124-62-55.austin.res.rr.com] has quit Remote closed the connection
22:03 -!- CB6 [n=CB6 at modemcable031.189-201-24.mc.videotron.ca] has joined #fedora-meeting
22:03 < CB6> hello
22:04 < ianweller> brb
22:04 < ianweller> go ahead and start
22:05 -!- ianweller is now known as ianweller_afk
22:05 -!- ricky changed the topic of #fedora-meeting to: Fedora Websites - Tasks
22:05 < ricky> The website is pretty much frozen for translations now, so it's time to start looking at other tasks again
22:05 < ricky> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Websites/Tasks
22:05 < stiv2k> hello
22:06 < stiv2k> 22:00 UTC is now?
22:06 < ricky> Yup
22:06 < stiv2k> cool
22:06 < stiv2k> I'm in time!
22:06 < ricky> date -u is handy for checking :-)
22:06 < ricky> Cool
22:06 < ricky> quaid: Any updates on the CMS search, or are you guys still up to your necks in release stuff?
22:08 < ricky> All righty.
22:08 < CB6> I was just wondering that
22:08 < stiv2k> what kind of CMS have you deliberated upon thus far?
22:08 < ricky> I'm not 100% sure what meeting the CMS discussion would even happen in.  My understanding is that we want to find something that definitely works for docs first, then look at integrating websites.
22:09 < ricky> There were some requirements sent out a while ago, and they should be mostly centered around working for the docs team's needs (plus having good l10n support)
22:09 < CB6> Drupal or Plone both fit well. Plone being a bit more difficult to work on than drupal for newer users
22:09 < ricky> If the security record is good, Drupal looked pretty nice for me.
22:09 < stiv2k> ricky: im looking at the wiki page now
22:10 < ricky> We've had bad experience with plone before, so that's looking pretty unlikely for infrastructure to be able to support fully
22:10 < stiv2k> you guys ever toy w/ the idea of frameworks?
22:10 < ricky> What kind of frameworks?
22:10 < ricky> We've been using TurboGears for a lot of webapps, if that's what you mean
22:10 < stiv2k> django, ror, cakephp, etc
22:10 < ricky> But that's a level below content mangement
22:10 < ricky> **management
22:12 < CB6> Django is not secure
22:12 < stiv2k> CB6: how so?
22:12 < CB6> I have friends that worked with it at a networking site level and we experienced all sorts of bugs. It's still a very new platform
22:12 < stiv2k> oh... I have never used it myself
22:13 < stiv2k> I have used cakephp
22:13 < ricky> Transifex people were porting to it, they've had good experiences so far, but not sure what level they're working at
22:13 < CB6> cakephp has been around a long time
22:13 < CB6> well plone is used by NASA, and some groups such as fedorasolved
22:14 < ricky> Yeah.  It's not packageable for python 2.5 though, which is kind of a blocker.
22:14 -!- buggbot [n=supybot at landfill.bugzilla.org] has quit Connection reset by peer
22:14 < CB6> I just am not familiar enough with plone myself to make a decent go of it at this time. Drupal is something that pretty much anyone can learn to work with quite fast
22:14 < stiv2k> I watched their shuttle go up the other day'
22:15 -!- buggbot [n=supybot at landfill.bugzilla.org] has joined #fedora-meeting
22:15 < ricky> Cool
22:16 < ricky> If you guys are interested in getting some test sites up to test requirements, talk to quaid and G
22:16 < stiv2k> what do you mean test sites
22:16 < CB6> staging sites
22:16 < ricky> Like getting a local instance running
22:16 < stiv2k> ah
22:17 < CB6> I have a drupal platform up.. in the middle of setting up. I haven't done anything with it yet
22:17 < ricky> Ah, cool
22:18 < CB6> pretty simple to set up.. really tight on the security restrictions
22:18 < CB6> if you don't do certain things it will not let you proceed onto other steps
22:18 < ricky> That's good - their community seems to be great as well, which is always good
22:19 -!- ericz [n=eric at ip98-166-65-97.hr.hr.cox.net] has joined #fedora-meeting
22:19 -!- mccann_ [n=jmccann at 66.187.234.199] has quit Read error: 113 (No route to host)
22:19 < CB6> plone was just intimidating
22:19 -!- sgtd [n=SOD at wilug/newlug/sgtd] has joined #fedora-meeting
22:19 < ricky> Anyway, I guess we can talk about this more when we can get quaid around :-)
22:20 < CB6> amazing potential with plone but I have a lot of learning yet before I can make a go of it. It's best if there's tons of support so everyone can work on it sort of like wiki
22:20 < CB6> ya
22:20 < ricky> Yeah
22:20 < ricky> So next on the list is myfedora
22:20 < ricky> J5: Do you guys need any help with CSS/web stuff for myfedora?
22:20 < stiv2k> ricky: is there a way to test myfedora ?
22:20 < ricky> Even if you just need more testers, feel free to email fedora-websites-list asking for help
22:20 < J5> ricky: mo is working on that so ask her
22:20 < ricky> stiv2k: I think J5 will be very happy to answer that :-)
22:21 < ricky> J5: Ah, she couldn't make this meeting :-(
22:21 < J5> stiv2k: http://publictest16.fedoraproject.org/community
22:22 < CB6> myfedora is a very good idea... integration is so necessary to speed up the development cycle
22:22 -!- ianweller_afk is now known as ianweller
22:22 < stiv2k> nice
22:22 < ricky> Oh, speaking of testing, we really really need browser testing on http://publictest15.fedoraproject.org/
22:22 < ricky> So whatever browsers/resolutions/OSs you can get access to, try to make sure that it looks right, especially the new get-fedora pages
22:23 < ianweller> contributors are smart enough to not use IE, right? ;)
22:23 < stiv2k> ricky: that gives me a good reason to download chrome now :)
22:23 < ricky> That'll be the main get-fedora work leading up to the release
22:23 -!- fab [n=bellet at bellet.info] has quit Read error: 60 (Operation timed out)
22:23 < ricky> ianweller: I'd think so :-)  So windows testing can be targetted more at http://publictest15.fedoraproject.org/
22:24 < ianweller> ricky: er, you mean, get-fedora?
22:24 < ricky> Yeah, and that whole site in general
22:26 < ricky> All right, so I'll ask mizmo if she needs any CSS help, etc. when she's around
22:26 < stiv2k> ricky: is there supposed to be a missing image at http://publictest15.fedoraproject.org/
22:27 < CB6> IE is completely rebuilt for version 8 so it's probably full of new bugs
22:27 < ricky> Yeah, we haven't gotten the release image from the art team yet - I think they started to post some initial mockups
22:27 < ianweller> ricky: i was thinking about that the other day when i pinged you :)
22:27 < stiv2k> right I think I saw some of them on the mailing list
22:27 < ricky> CB6: Blech, CSS patches would be hugely appreciated, especially since a lot of us can't get IE8
22:28 < ricky> ianweller: Ah, sorry I missed that - this was a weird weekend
22:28 < ianweller> heh.
22:28 < ricky> ianweller: You're probably the most updated about that stuff - do you know how the progress is going?
22:28 < ianweller> no, haven't heard a thing
22:28 < CB6> I use IE to test
22:28 < ricky> I think I saw a small banner for the sidebar, but no big banner yet
22:28 < ianweller> i'll ping mizmo later tonight
22:28 < ianweller> i was actually thinking of taking some screenshots for that but qemu doesn
22:29 < ianweller> 't like me
22:29 < stiv2k> hmm
22:29 < ricky> I still have instructions for getting screenshots of the various boot screens - not sure if upstart changes could have messed anything up though
22:29 < ianweller> ricky: send 'em my way if you have the time
22:29 < stiv2k> get-fedora looks really weird when viewing with google chrome
22:30 < ricky> Wait, rhgb is gone now, right?
22:30 < CB6> what are you guys using for cross browser testing on fedora?
22:30 < stiv2k> CB6: I'm using chrome, FF, and IE right now
22:30 < ricky> In that case, I'm not sure how useful http://ricky.fedorapeople.org/rhgb-screenshot still is.
22:30 < CB6> stiv2k I figured their might be an application but I guess there's really no replacement for the updated browser it self
22:31 < ricky> stiv2k: Yow, can you get a screenshot up somewhere?  (Or if you're feeling up to it, feel free to tweak the CSS to try and make it look right)
22:31 < stiv2k> ricky: my CSS is rusty but I'll show you a screenshot in a minute
22:31 < ricky> Sure
22:34 < ricky> But yeah, if anybody has a chance to do some testing, please email screenshots/report to the list
22:35 < stiv2k> http://stiv2k.info/get-fedora-chrome.PNG
22:35 < stiv2k> http://stiv2k.info/get-fedora-ff3.PNG
22:35 < ricky> Woah.
22:35 < ricky> That is weird.
22:35 < stiv2k> the browser windows are the same size in these two cases^
22:35 < stiv2k> yeah :P
22:36 < ricky> I can reproduce in Konqueror, so I'll mess around with that later
22:36 < stiv2k> ok, should I report it to the mailing list?
22:37 < ricky> Yeah, that'd be a good way to keep track of report
22:37 < ricky> **reports
22:37 < stiv2k> alright
22:37 < ricky> Feel free to ask your friends to test it, etc. as well :-)
22:37 < ricky> Anyway, does anybody have anything else that they want to bring up?
22:38 < ricky> Even though we're currently frozen, we can discuss changes for after the release and stuff
22:38 -!- mccann [n=jmccann at 66.187.234.199] has joined #fedora-meeting
22:38 < ricky> Some people on marketing-list preferred the period after "Fire it up"
22:38 < stiv2k> ricky: I agree
22:39 < ricky> I'll look at modifying PO files manually, but no promises that it'll happen by the release
22:39 < ricky> Anythine else?
22:40 < ricky> All right then, thanks for coming, everybody!