preparing websites content for Fedora 10

Craig Thomas bicycle.nutz at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 16:58:12 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 11:44 AM, Máirín Duffy <duffy at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Máirín Duffy wrote:
>> Patrick C. F. Ernzer wrote:

>>> [...]
>>> [...]
>>
>> The solution we had in the mockup (that this doesn't seem to be
>> following) was to just offer 32-bit live desktop by default and other
>> arches are hidden under a 'more options' link.

I am not sure which mockup you are refering to ?  do you have a link
or do you mean the .pdf of the drawing you made?

>> Most consumer machines, especially now that Apple has gone with intel
>> chips, can run x86. If you have no idea of your machine's architecture
>> (and I am betting most folks who want to try Fedora for the first time
>> do not) x86 is a very safe bet. If you do know what your machine's arch
>> is, and it's not x86, you are more than capable to click one more link
>> to get x86_64 or ppc.

Understood and agreed. And I think we should be pushing the x86 live CD myself.

>> This page is just too busy, IMHO. There is too much text, and it asks
>> too many questions.
>>
>> What our plan had been before when we discussed this, was to offer the
>> Fedora live desktop spin x86 with one click.
>
> fwiw here's my money where my mouth is:
>
> http://duffy.fedorapeople.org/webdesign/get-fedora/

To be perfectly candid, I agree with you and feel conflicted about the
work I have done on this idea /page. As a user,  I resist things
moving around the screen and disappearing ... it makes me nervous.
Yet, the basic design of the page seemed to call for it and I feel
like I just followed the idea to it's conclusion. On the other hand, I
think this idea shows off Fedora's offerings in terms of .iso choices.

The above is simple and elegant, things I think Fedora is also.  It's
more in line with the rest of our content.  ( a little sparse, but I
am thinking we would add the right hand column? )

Both seem like huge improvements over the current get-fedora page, and
as our goal is to improve the current user experience I think having
as many ideas out there to work from can only improve the end result.

What do others think?

--
Craig