preparing websites content for Fedora 10

Max Spevack mspevack at redhat.com
Fri Oct 3 12:32:02 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2 Oct 2008, Paul W. Frields wrote:

> Step 1:
> --------
> "32-bit PC: Works on all Intel, AMD, VIA C4, and Apple MacBook Pro."
>
> "64-bit PC: Works only on Intel Core 2 Duo, Centrino Core 2 Duo, Xeon,
> AMD Athlon64/X2, Sempron64/X2, and Duron64."
>
> (PowerPC looks good.)
>
> Step 2:
> --------
> "DVD Installation media: This DVD is a large download that includes a
> wide variety of software.  You cannot run Fedora directly from the
> DVD.  This choice is good for users who already know they want to
> install Fedora, and want flexibility and choice."
>
> "Desktop Live media: This disc is a smaller download, with a preset
> software configuration.  You can run Fedora directly from this image
> on CD or a USB key.  This choice is good for beginners or users who
> want a portable Fedora environment."
>
> "KDE Live media: Similar to the Desktop Live media, except it
> showcases KDE software.  This choice is good for KDE fans."
>
> "Want a Custom spin?  Click here to choose from a variety of other
> available media for specialized needs and interests."
>
> Step 3:
> --------
> "Direct download: Download media directly from a location near you.
> This option works better for some users behind a firewall."
>
> "Torrent: Download media using [[BitTorrent software]], which also
> guarantees accuracy.  This option works well for most users,
> especially in the first month after release."
>
> ** The [[BitTorrent software]] text should be a direct link to:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Distribution/Download/BitTorrent

I have always thought that we need something that is the equivalent of
(but obviously rewritten, I'm exaggerating to make a point):

"Is this the first time you're trying to install a Linux operating
system and you're completely confused, because no one has ever even told
you that there are different types of computer hardware, and your
machine is from Dell or HP or one of the big vendors?  Then CLICK HERE
and we'll give you something that will probably just work."

And we give them the x86 Desktop Live CD.  And we make that really big
and prominent, not hidden at the bottom or off in the corner.

--Max