[Fwd: Re: Download confusion]

Stewart Adam maillist at diffingo.com
Sat Apr 4 18:15:50 UTC 2009

On 4/4/09 1:17 AM, Ricky Zhou wrote:
> On 2009-04-04 01:10:56 AM, Ricky Zhou wrote:
>> Any idea exactly how people are being confused by the text
>> "Intel-compatible PCs?"  Should we perhaps make this text larger and
>> more noticable?  I don't know about most people, but I would personally
>> be more confused/intimidated if presented with all of those processor
>> names.
True... Increasing the text size would help though.

> Actually, I just searched around the docs site a bit, and maybe we
> should add a link to
> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f10/en_US/sn-which-arch.html.
+1

> This has both the model names and types.  It still might be a bit
> intimidating to many people though, since it attempts to list every
> single possible case (I still find "Intel-compatible PC" to be a bit
> easier to understand).
> If users aren't sure which of i386 or x86_64 to choose, should we make
> it clearer that i386 will work if they're not sure?
This reminded me about another problem related to the i386/x86_64/ppc
download confusion: Release confusion. We have also been finding a lot of
users downloading the Fedora 11 Beta by accident, not realizing that it is
not a production release. I think this may be because it appears first on
the "See all torrents" and "See all custom spins" without a warning...

Either way, I think we can solve both problems at once by organizing the
download options and presenting a few more (more than just i386, at least)
them on the main download page. I've attached a mockup I made that combines
the "Get Fedora" and "Show me all downloads in one page" pages.

Thanks,
Stewart