Fedora bug submitting process

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 03:22:26 UTC 2009

On Mon, Aug 03, 2009 at 10:40:43PM -0400, Ricky Zhou wrote:
> Hey, Jon and I had a great conversation (log below) about how confusing
> submitting a bug to Fedora can be.  There are a ton of great points here
> about some of the useless/confusing fields that get presented.
>
> I'm not sure what options we have for improving this, whether it's
> making a friendly, stripped down page for bug submission (which won't
> help the situation with the bug pages themselves, unfortunately), or
> maybe having a simplified, step-by-step bug submission form like GNOME
> has (http://bugzilla.gnome.org/simple-bug-guide.cgi), but this area
> definitely needs our attention - bug reporting is one of the easiest
> ways to make the jump from Fedora users to Fedora contributors, which is
> very important :-)

Interestingly, this same topic came up tangentially at the Fedora
Community brainstorming session.  I like the idea of an interface
that's easier for novices to navigate and file.  I'm assuming that
whatever we're talking about is hooked on the back end to the same
data store, and presented in a friendlier, more digestible way.