Media wiki extension for handling Ogg

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Tue Aug 18 15:19:45 UTC 2009

On 08/18/2009 06:06 PM, Mike McGrath wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Aug 2009, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>>
>> It would be useful to stream Ogg Theora videos directly from the wiki
>> inorder to demonstrate new features. What are the options available for
>> this and is any of them being deployed in Fedora infrastructure?
>
> I assume you're talking about
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:OggHandler.  It'd need to get
> packaged and we'd probably have to come up with some rules about the video
> sizes and how long we keep them as to not overload our servers.

I agree about size rules but I don't like the idea of deleting: deleting
part of release notes for old releases would be like deleting our history.

Are you concerned about disk space or bandwidth consumption? Disk space
can be addressed by having rules for upload size and the bandwidth
consumption should not be big for old releases, with only a few visitors.

Maybe archive old videos in external sources?