[mockup patch] A get-fedora page which makes it easier to select the DE, arch and download method

Stewart Adam maillist at diffingo.com
Sat Jul 4 21:11:52 UTC 2009

Hi,

In light of the recent discussions about increasing the visibility of
the x86_64 and KDE media downloads, I've created a mockup page that I
think would help solve both problems. It's similar to the current pages,
but I've added a "Customize" section which allows users to select
between KDE/Gnome, i586/x86_64/PPC, and the preferred download method in
a few clicks (although seeing I haven't coded any of the Javascript to
make the URL changes work properly). As an added bonus, it also places
the BitTorrent download option upfront which should help reduce mirror load.

One of the disadvantages to adding a customize section is that it
decreases the user-friendliness of our download page slightly, however I
think if we offer sane defaults and place the customize section below
the "Download Now" links we can avoid most of this (new users can still
click "download now" and start right away, while experienced users can
read on and select their preferred DE/arch/download method).

Any ideas, comments, concerns or feedback are welcome.

Regards,
Stewart