[mockup patch] A get-fedora page which makes it easier to select the DE, arch and download method

Máirín Duffy mairin at linuxgrrl.com
Sat Jul 4 21:43:43 UTC 2009

Hi Stewart,

On Sat, 2009-07-04 at 17:11 -0400, Stewart Adam wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In light of the recent discussions about increasing the visibility of
> the x86_64 and KDE media downloads, I've created a mockup page that I
> think would help solve both problems. It's similar to the current pages,
> but I've added a "Customize" section which allows users to select
> between KDE/Gnome, i586/x86_64/PPC, and the preferred download method in
> a few clicks (although seeing I haven't coded any of the Javascript to
> make the URL changes work properly). As an added bonus, it also places
> the BitTorrent download option upfront which should help reduce mirror load.
>
> One of the disadvantages to adding a customize section is that it
> decreases the user-friendliness of our download page slightly, however I
> think if we offer sane defaults and place the customize section below
> the "Download Now" links we can avoid most of this (new users can still
> click "download now" and start right away, while experienced users can
> read on and select their preferred DE/arch/download method).
>
> Any ideas, comments, concerns or feedback are welcome.

Thanks for the patch, but I feel quite strongly that this is not the
right approach. We've discussed this at length in the past few websites
meetings and had agreed that such an approach for the default page is
not a good idea because it's too intimidating for beginner users. This
might be a good option for the advanced page, however, I've found a lot
of technical folks complain when they're given a widget+widget+widget =
one link kind of page, they'd prefer a field of links so they can copy
link urls in one click & page load.

~m