Feedback gathered for fedoraproject.org and get.fedoraproject.org

Máirín Duffy mairin at linuxgrrl.com
Sat Jul 11 07:06:23 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-07-11 at 02:35 -0400, Mel Chua wrote:
> * Viewing fp.o on a mobile browser is probably an edge case and can be
> ignored (stats could prove me wrong, though - I wonder how to get access
> to those stats... maybe Ian might have some ideas)

We really should just format the site differently - at the very least
have a different style sheet - to target this specifically if we decide
to support it. We don't officially now.

> * Someone on an 800+px wide display might have two windows open
> side-by-side (comparing the Fedora homepage with the Gentoo homepage, or
> surfing the web on the left side of his/her screen and reading email on
> the right). This sounds more plausible to me; my laptop is 1024x768 and
> it's not uncommon for me to have two browser windows side by side, each
> filling up half my screen (so, accounting for scrollbars and such,
> somewhere around 500px width each).

Enough websites don't accommodate this scenario that we won't stick out
if we don't.

And FWIW the site works at very narrow resolutions on my laptop, it's
just the main banner blows out the side of the template (but the banner
is 600x200 so not much can be done about that) Get-fedora fails
gracefully, etc. and is sufficient for this use case.

> >> Really? I wonder if there is a good way we can empirically prove this.
> >
> > Why would I expend energy to download an operating system if I don't
> > understand what it is I would be getting for the effort?
>
> Also thinking off the top of my head... I think a better reason might be
> "some people will already come to fp.o knowing that they want to dl
> Fedora, even before taking the tour. Who are they?"
>
> * someone (I trust, possibly an Ambassador standing beside me) has
> already told me I should just download this "Fedora" thing and they'll
> help me get started
>
> * I do understand what I'd be getting; I already know what Fedora is and
> just need to grab an image file and am easily frustrated by Fitt's Law
>
> * some people blithely click on download links first, then figure out
> what they're getting afterwards. Not that it's a good idea, mind you...
> but I've watched enough people have this as almost a knee-jerk reaction
> to a webpage that... I mean, it happens.

I agree with all of this, although i think the last two cases are far
less common than the first. The first fits with our general flaw of
addressing newbies way more than more seasoned users. Thanks for the
reasoning :)

~m