Feedback gathered for fedoraproject.org and get.fedoraproject.org

Mel Chua mel at redhat.com
Sat Jul 11 07:30:11 UTC 2009

Thanks for pushing back and pointing out holes in my reasoning, btw -
always good especially when it's 3:20am (...it's one of Those Nights
when I can't sleep).

> We really should just format the site differently - at the very least
> have a different style sheet - to target this specifically if we decide
> to support it. We don't officially now.

Yay! wontfix, then. *docs at
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Websites/Heuristics#Screen_size*

>> "some people will already come to fp.o knowing that they want to dl
>> Fedora, even before taking the tour. Who are they?"
>>
>> * someone (I trust, possibly an Ambassador standing beside me) has
>> already told me I should just download this "Fedora" thing and they'll
>> help me get started
>>
>> * I do understand what I'd be getting; I already know what Fedora is and
>> just need to grab an image file and am easily frustrated by Fitt's Law
>>
>> * some people blithely click on download links first, then figure out
>> what they're getting afterwards. Not that it's a good idea, mind you...
>> but I've watched enough people have this as almost a knee-jerk reaction
>> to a webpage that... I mean, it happens.
>
> I agree with all of this, although i think the last two cases are far
> less common than the first.

I wonder if "IP addresses that have dl'd one of the prior Fedora
releases before" vs "IP addresses that have not downloaded Fedora
before" would be a useful differentiation metric for this - it's hard to
tell who's actually arriving at the site for what. I'll have a chat with
Ian (since he's doing similar work) about ways we might instrument
things up better to get the kind of data these discussions should be
based on... who else is into stats and metrics?

--Mel