Self-introduction: Mel Chua

Mel Chua mel at redhat.com
Wed Jun 10 02:23:19 UTC 2009

Hi! I'm Mel. This is my current mental model of our website, which you
may have seen on Planet Fedora.

http://blog.melchua.com/2009/06/09/fedora-website-graphical-notes/

I'm still learning my way around, so I'm going to make tons of mistakes!
Please correct me! Right now I'm trying to get lots of data dumps,
perspectives on how the site's going, how it could be improved, trying
to find stuff to hack on...

Experience-wise, I'm fluent in (X)HTML and CSS, though cross-browser
compatibility issues make me Very Sad. I occasionally put up basic sites
for friends as a combination hobby/because-I'm-the-"computer-person"
thing. I've been playing on and off with it since high school when my
idea of "good design" involved a tiled background of a Star Wars X-wing
fighter and the <marquee> tag. (My taste has improved considerably since
then.)

Anti-skillz: My sketching ability and sense of space and color (or lack
thereof, particularly for the last one) can be seen in the image linked
to above, and I understand how javascript-based UIs and db-backed
webapps are made, but am not particularly gifted at making them, and
I've learned just enough about usability to be dangerous.

Skillz: What I'm actually pretty good at is being articulately confused,
and at breaking things - being a sort of Perpetual Newbie From Hell who
inexplicably submits good bug reports. I blame my brief stint as a QA
engineer for that. I can also be a Mediawiki fiend, having spent the
past 2 years or so building up, weeding, and admin-ing
http://wiki.laptop.org. I try to ask interesting questions and to not
get distracted by shiny stuff, though the success rate of the latter
is... a work in progress.

A question, since I'm following down the
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Websites/Join page: when is the next
meeting? According to
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Websites/Meetings#Time_and_Place, the next
meeting is in 2008 - so I'm curious whether there are still meetings
held, and if not, if folks would be interested in gathering for one on
IRC sometime this week or early next.

Seems like a good time to look at our site, since plenty of new users
are hitting it and giving us potentially interesting data on the kinds
of things that could be improved. ;)

--Mel