D/L Validation issue and your website

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Sun Jun 21 03:02:09 UTC 2009

Hi Michael,

Reorx wrote:
> Todd & Ricky;
>
> Gentlemen - thank you both for your quick replies.

You're quite welcome.  I wish we had better answers to give you.

> Below Todd said > "Unfortunately, the problem is that the
> documentation is out of date for Fedora 11..."  As a potential new
> user, I think that a "state of the art" operating environment
> shouldn't have "out of date" documentation...
> What can be done to fix it?

I think that what is needed is a Windows tool that we can recommend
for Windows users which can verify SHA-256 hashes.  I don't think
there are any currently.  Until that happens, there isn't a very good
way to fix that documentation.  If a good sha256sum for Windows isn't
built or located soon, the documentation should probably be modified
to note that it is not applicable to Fedora 11.

> I took the liberty of burning the .ico onto a CD using Roxio 5 (the
> documentation gives directions for Roxio 7 among others) and have
> successfully booted to it.  It's a interesting environment although
> runs pretty sssllllooooooowwwwwllllyyyy from a CD ROM...  I am going
> to try to install it to a UFD - it should perform much better from a
> UFD.

It also works reasonably well from a usb key.  The Live USB Creator
tool can take the .iso image you have and put it on a usb key that you
can boot many modern systems with.

    https://fedorahosted.org/liveusb-creator/

That tool works well from Windows too.

> Can either of you give me an idea about how big a "complete install"
> for Fedora 11 is - approximately.  My choices for a UFD to install
> Fedora 11 onto are 8, 16, 32, or 64 GB.

The Fedora Installation Guide says between 3 and 5 GB is sufficient.
I've not done any complete installs to test that, as there are far
more packages in Fedora than I am able or interested in using.

I tend to give myself 10 GB for the / partition, which accounts for
the packages installed as well as various cache data that is created.

But if you can, try making a live usb key.  That's a pretty handy way
to poke around.

People who make history know nothing about history. You can see that
in the sort of history they make.
    -- G. K. Chesterton