Release counter update

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Thu May 21 03:01:46 UTC 2009

Jeremy Katz wrote:
> Note that if its only a single patch, then --compose is probably
> overkill.  Your commit message should be able to stand alone to
> explain a single commit!

Indeed.  And in the cases where some extra context is desirable (for
example, if you're replying to a message about an issue and want to
include a patch to fix that issue), such text can be added after the
--- that git adds, just before the diffstat.  This text won't be
processed by git am / git apply, but can be useful to those following
the thread or the folks maintaining the git repo to which you are
submitting a patch.

Of course, to do that, you generally skip using git send-email and
just drop the contents of format-patch into your MUA (we're all using
sane mail clients that don't mangle line breaks, tabs/spaces, etc.,
right?  ;).

If quitters never win, and winners never quit, then who is the fool
who said "Quit while you're ahead?"